Saturday, October 11, 2014

Reusable tampons

When I set out to make reusable menstrual products, I was worried about comfort and allergies. I am allergic to everything, so I knew it needed to be 100% cotton.

I chose all cotton flannel for the fabric with an all cotton string.  I use all cotton thread with an overlock stitch to prevent raveling.  They are sized similar to an OB, but may be customized in length and width as well as string length. These can be in either brown flannel or white/cream.

All materials have been pre-washed in warm water to pre-shrink

Use:
Begin rolling at the string end and roll tightly. They insert like OB.

Out and About care:
I carry a small Ziploc bag to store them in until I get home. Easy trick...turn baggie inside out...grab it and slow turn bag right side out to prevent mess and seal. This can then be tucked into a wet bag.

Care and wash:
Rinse in cold water. I soak mine in Oxyclean but that is optional. Rinse and wash. I do not stain treat, I find that the Oxiclean works well, but use what you are comfortable with.

Some short fraying is to be expected. On these, I did not roll the edges to prevent it being too bulky to use. The small frays should not become dislodged inside and can be picked off before using.

It is best to wash before first use in your own washing supplies.  If you have allergies, you might be allergic to what I have washed these in.

Thank you
Morana

This store tiny when flat. I keep one or two in my EDC at all times...just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment